Treat your Valentine to a batch of these delicious naturally sweetened homemade doughnuts with beet colored sprinkles.
I used the same batter for these doughnuts as I did for my “Almost Whole30 Chocolate Muffins“.
Ingredients for 12 Doughnuts
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 very ripe bananas)
- 1 apple, peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup dates, pits removed and chopped roughly – (not Whole30 compliant)
- 1 cup raw almond butter
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon Chia Seeds (optional)
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chip chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
I used Martha Stewart’s recipe Homemade Sprinkles. Instead of food coloring and vanilla extract I used freshly pressed beet juice, using somewhere between 4-5 tablespoons of juice. If the mixture is too thick, add more beet juice; if the mixture is too liquid, add more Confectioner’s sugar.
For the Doughnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees and grease the doughnut pans.
- Place all of the ingredients into your blender, such as Vitamix, and process on High until the batter is smooth, about 1 -2 minutes.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag or a large Ziplock bag with one corner cut off. Pipe into the doughnut pan, filling halfway full.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- Place chocolate chunks and coconut oil in a medium sized bowl over a simmering pot. Don’t allow the bowl to touch the water. Stir carefully until chocolate chunks and coconut oil are melted and well combined.
- Once the doughnuts are cooled, dip each doughnut top halves into the chocolate and then top with sprinkles.