Without a doubt, visiting the local farmers market is one of my favorite ways to find inspiration for dinners. The smell of the fresh herbs, fruits, and vegetables at a farmers market is beyond compare to a grocery store. This arugula salad with oven roasted acorn and onions was an inspiration from my most recent farmers market finds.
Ingredients for Salad
- 4 cups arugula (loosely packed)
- 1 pear (cubed)
- 1 cup of cooked chicken (diced)
- 1 white onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/3 cup 1/2 cup pecans (toasted and chopped)
- 1/3 cup goat cheese or blue cheese (optional)
Ingredients for Dressing
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Instructions for Salad
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Split the squash in half, scrape out the seeds with a spoon and cut into 3/4-inch thick wedges.
- Set the squash wedges on one half of a baking sheet and sprinkle with rosemary, thyme salt and pepper. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the squash. Arrange the onion slices on the other half of the sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the onions and roast everything for about 25-30 minutes, until the squash is fork tender and golden brown.
- Allow the onions and the squash to cool, then combine with the arugula, chicken and pear in a large bowl. Drizzle 1/4 cup of the dressing over and gently toss until evenly coated. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with more dressing when ready to serve.
- Garnish with goat cheese and serve warm or at room temperature.
Instructions for Dressing
- Whisk together the lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.