Beets! I love beets! In soups and salads, but I never made desserts with beets. The other night I was thinking of adding beets to muffins or a cake to create a beautiful pink color that my girls would love. The next morning I noticed that we ran out of flour, so I decided to make a flourless chocolate beet cake. My husband, Mike, is my test-victim. He usually rolls his eyes if I present him with healthy alternative desserts. Chia Seeds, Chickpea flour, and vegan butter doesn’t excite him. However, after he had a bite of this beet cake, his eyes rolled back and I knew it was a hit.
So if you have a picky eater, make this cake! It is filled with Vitamin B and C, potassium, and fiber. But they don’t need to know what’s in it, right? 🙂
- 2 cups beets (peeled, cooked and finely diced – about 10 oz)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coffee
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour the beet mixture into a greased 9-10 ” cake pan with removable bottom and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool before releasing the cake.
P.S. And this is how my kids enjoyed it. I saved the water I cooked the beets in and added a few drops to milk. They loved their pink milk. 🙂