With the streets and sidewalks turning into a sea of oranges, yellows and reds (not here in Florida, Ha!), the autumn scenery is just amazing. Each year around this time I can’t help but think about “pumpkin and apple everything”. This rustic almond apple tart is delicious and reminds me a lot of fall. The added almonds give an extra crunch to the crust on the top. Yum!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 10 tablespoons of cold butter (diced)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almonds (chopped)
Ingredients for the cream
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon Bourbon (optional)
- 4 teaspoons Arrowroot flour
- 2 egg yolks
Ingredients for fruit filling
- 4 McIntosh apples (peeled and sliced into 1-inch slices)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons of apple jam/apple cider jam
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds (chopped)
Instructions for the crust
- In a food processor, combine the flour and confectioners’ sugar and pulse until well combined. Add the butter, egg yolk, and almonds, and process until the dough forms a ball.
- Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Place in the center of an 10-inch round loose-bottom tart pan and press evenly over the bottom of the pan with your fingers, then work the dough up the sides with your thumbs making sure that the finished edge is flat. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once chilled, line the dough with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. The beans simply weigh down the dough to prevent it from rising. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper, set aside and let cool.
Instructions for the cream
- In a food processor, combine confectioner’s sugar, maple syrup, and butter and process until well combined. Add almond flour, Arrowroot flour, Bourbon, and yolks, processing until well incorporated. Transfer to a bowl and chill for at least 1 hour.
Instructions for the fruit filling
- Place half of the apples in a medium size pot and cover with apple cider. Bring almost to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the apples are very tender, almost like chunky apple sauce. Drain the apples well and set aside. (Save the cider for a drink).
- Transfer the cream onto the cooled tart shell and top with cooked apples. Arrange the raw apple slices on top in a decorative pattern.
- Top with almonds and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is the best).