This chicken butternut squash chili will sure warm up your kitchen – and family – on a cold day. It’s delicious and is a real crowd-pleaser.
(5 -6 servings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (casing removed)
- 28 oz can San Marzano – whole peeled tomatoes – (break them up by hand in a large bowl)
- 1 large butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 15 oz can Cannellini beans
- 6 oz baby spinach
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- sour cream (garnish/optional)
- grated cheese (garnish/optional)
- pumpkin seeds without shells (garnish/optional)
- In a large Dutch oven heat the olive oil and saute the onion and bell peppers over medium heat until tender, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Next, add the chicken and cook until brown, breaking down the meat with a wooden spoon.
- Now add the squash, tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and cumin. Reduce the heat to low and cook the chili for 20-25 minutes, until the butternut squash is tender.
- Add the spinach and mix until beans are until well combined and cook for another 5 minutes, until the spinach is wilted.
- Garnish with sour cream, cheese and pumpkin seeds and serve.