Perfect Roast Chicken with Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
Forget fancy or complicated, this is the world’s easiest dinner! Perfect roast chicken with kale and sweet potato salad. The flavors are very fresh, light, and delicious.
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 bunch ale (torn into bite size pieces)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled & cubed)
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until lightly browned and soft, tossing once or twice, about 30-35 minutes.
- Place the kale in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of maple syrup. Massage with your hands, making sure to coat the kale with oil and syrup. This step will help to break down the cell structure which helps soften the kale.
- After the sweet potatoes are roasted and cooled, add to the kale and toss to combine.
- Garnish with goat cheese and serve warm or at room temperature.
Ingredients for Roast Chicken
- One 5 to 6 pound roasting chicken
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets and any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers, and pat the outside dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of you dutch oven, such as Le Creuset, and liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and cover with the lid.
- Roast the chicken for 1-1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and a thigh.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let sit with the lid covered for about 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve with the salad!
P.S. If you have left over salad and chicken, combine the two dishes and serve it cold for lunch as a salad.