I love going to local farmers markets to find inspiration for dinners. During my last visit, I found 18-inch long string beans and had to bring them home. I blanched and tossed it all together with garlic balsamic dressing, and served it as a side dish to lamb chops. It turned into an easy, healthy, and flavorful side dish.
- 1 pound string beans (ends removed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic (grated)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Parmesan shavings (optional)
- Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water, until just tender but still crisp and bright green for 1 1/2 minutes only. Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper until vinaigrette has emulsified.
- Arrange the beans on a platter and drizzle with enough dressing to moisten them.
- With a very sharp knife or a vegetable peeler, shave the Parmesan into large shards on top of the string beans. Serve immediately.