Don’t buy your basil pesto! Try this wonderful bright recipe. It is incredibly simple to make. I like to incorporate pesto into salad dressing, soups, and stews. I add it to pasta and rice dishes. Just add a teaspoon or two and taste the difference.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup of nuts of your choice (pecan, almonds, cashews, walnuts or pine nuts)
- 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup of olive oil
- Generous pinch of Sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place all the ingredients, except for olive oil, in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15-20 seconds. With the motor running, drizzle in the oil.
Tip: You can store the pesto in a tightly sealed jar, topped with a thin layer of olive oil, for several weeks in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the pesto, topped with a thin layer of olive oil, in an ice cube tray. Read more about it here.