Do you have leftover rice or pasta from the night before? Perfect! This recipe will give leftover cooked rice or pasta a new life! 🙂
- 1 cup of cooked wild rice (any rice or pasta would work)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 6 oz. portobello mushrooms (sliced thinly)
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 oz. spinach
- Black pepper
- In a deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until browned, about 5-7 minutes. If you have plenty of drippings, reserve about 2-3 tablespoons and pour off the rest. If you don’t have any drippings, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice or pasta and cook for about 2 minutes. Lower the heat and layer the spinach on top (without stirring). Cover with lid and cook for about 5 minutes, until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and mix it all together. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, but go easy on the salt as the sausage might be salty enough.
- Let cool and serve in the skillet.