My purple sweet potato obsession continues as you might have noticed already… 😉 On tonight’s menu was the sweet potato and zucchini gratin. It took me less than 10 minutes to assemble. It was yummy and can be served for lunch or as a side dish to roasted chicken, grilled steak or fish.
- 2 large purple sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick)*
- 2 small zucchinis (sliced 1/8 inch thick)*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
* For fast and even cuts, use a Mandoline slicer.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease your baking dish with the olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the broth, half & half, thyme, olive oil, and cheese.
- Arrange the slices of the sweet potatoes and zucchini, alternating the vegetables, in an attractive pattern, stacking them and fanning them across the surface of the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour the cheese mixture over the vegetables.
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender when tested with a small knife and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to set for 10 minutes and serve hot.