What’s a better way to celebrate the fall mornings than with soft and fluffy baked donuts? Nothing really! (Ha!) Kick back and enjoy these cake-like donuts bite after bite.
- 4 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups oat flour
- 1 cup almond milk
Ingredients for Pumpkin Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup crispy bacon pieces
- Preheat the oven to 4oo degrees F and grease two donut pans lightly.
- Place butter, coconut oil, and coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and maple syrup into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- With the mixer still running, add one egg at a time until they are well in-cooperated.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flours, backing soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- Turn the mixture on low speed and add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, making sure everything is well combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop and fill the donut pans almost to the rim and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Let cool for 8-10 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
Instructions for Pumpkin Glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powered sugar, milk and pumpkin puree until well combined. If the glaze is too thick add more milk; if it’s too runny add more powered sugar.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and top with bacon pieces.
P.S. To make it more fun for my girls, I used the pink icing from our Valentine’s Day Cookie recipe as a glaze for our donuts, and topped it with pumpkin seeds.