My mom’s sweet potato ground beef gratin is simple, quick and delicious. Plus it is Paleo and Whole30-friendly!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium sized onions (sliced thinly)
- 2 sweet potatoes (sliced thinly)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup paleo/whole30-friendly mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Place the ground beef in a medium-size mixing bowl and lightly break up the meat with a fork and your fingertips. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and ground mustard and mix until combined.
- Split the meat mixture between two tart or pie shells and pat it down with your hand or fork. Place onions on top and sprinkle with thyme.
- Arrange the slices of the sweet potato on top of the onions in an attractive pattern across the surface of the dish.
- Split the mayonnaise between the two baking dishes. Use a small offset spatula to spread the mayonnaise over the potatoes evenly.
- Bake until potatoes are tender and mayonnaise is slightly browned, about 45-50 minutes.
- Optional: If you don’t follow a Paleo or Whole30 diet, sprinkle your favorite cheese on top and bake.
- Let cool and serve with a fresh red radish salad!